All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPost subject: Re: In response to some responses re Worlds 2012 announcement...
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

State: New South Wales
Outpost: Sydney
Worf son of Mogh wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to say don't let those posted get you down and I say this as some one who whole love to see worlds at gencon each year because I'd love to go to gencon and worlds but i can really only swing one big trip like that a year as both are significant when coming form West coast Canada. However I'm also VERY happy to see it Aust. this year as I'm using it as an excuse to really try and make it and take that trip down under I've wanted to tale for years hoping to meet you all and spend a few weeks in the area :)

-Ken

It would be great to see as many international travellers as possible ... we are working really hard to make this a memorable event!

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:22 pm

PostPost subject: Re: In response to some responses re Worlds 2012 announcement...
Crewman
Crewman

State: Not in Australia
Outpost: Not part of an Outpost
chompers wrote:
Worf son of Mogh wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to say don't let those posted get you down and I say this as some one who whole love to see worlds at gencon each year because I'd love to go to gencon and worlds but i can really only swing one big trip like that a year as both are significant when coming form West coast Canada. However I'm also VERY happy to see it Aust. this year as I'm using it as an excuse to really try and make it and take that trip down under I've wanted to tale for years hoping to meet you all and spend a few weeks in the area :)

-Ken

It would be great to see as many international travellers as possible ... we are working really hard to make this a memorable event!

I can confirm now I arrive on the 1st and depart on the 15th of September, I'll be staying in and based out of Sdy.
I'm looking for advise on what other then ST to make sure I see while there.
And any advise on the best way to see a big hoppy thingy not in a zoo would be cool :)

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:49 am

Captain
Captain

Hey Ken,

So you're in the city, the harbour is pretty terrific. Spend 1 day on a ferry to Manly, head on through the plaza, then find a nice cafe near the beach to refresh yourself.

From the Opera House to under the Bridge is also quite an interesting place. Know as Circular uay and the The Rocks, there are heaps on things to look at, eat and drink.

The Eastern suburbs is an interesting area also. For life on the slightly dodgy side Kings Cross is never dull. Then the beaches-Bondi, Maroubra, Coogee all have nice things going for them, mainly surf, sun and good looking ladies in bikinis. Bring your swimmers, but stay between the flags, as it can get a little rough sometimes

The fish markets at Glebe smell pretty bad and are in a fairly yuk location, but the seafood there is a grade, and its an experience cruising around the vendors checking out their wares

Darling Harbour is the happening tourist hub of the city, plenty of eatieries, shops, pretty people etc. Lots to see and do there, hopefully your staying pretty close by

China Town is like China Towns in most places I've been to, and it has a bonus of having Paddys Markets on its doorstep. My favourite Yum Cha place, The Marigold, is there, I'd be happy to talk tech with you over a green tea and a dumpling if you have the time

I'll have Will and James from England with me, I'd be happy to keep you in the loop as to what we're doing each day. If it suits you, you'd be welcome to join us

Cheers

Kieren

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honest has it nailed for in and around sydney. If you're looking for Scenery and Wildlife you would be best to head out to the blue mountains or the south coast (Mountains are prettier in my eyes). You can day trip there but the train ride is 2 hours either way and the best time to see Roos in nature is dusk. If you want to go animal tracking then an overnighter at the least would be called for.

Edit: Semi related: my leave is approved. Looking at 05-09 to 15-09 off - woot.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

If you are into wine -

Heading to the Blue Mountains gets you close to Mudgee wine region - also Jenolan Caves, etc - plague proportions of roos at dusk around Mudgee

If the south coast head inland to southern highlands for wine -- good gourmet foods in both areas too. Big fan of day trips to southern highlands for wine / food - also the treetop walk is pretty cool, jamberoo recreation park, waterfalls, nature reserves and the like

If heading North coast - Hunter Valley region is the premiere wine tour in NSW - great food, great tourism opportunities and beer tasting (for some of the Sydney folk) if they wanted to head that way. Recently stayed at Lovedale on outskirts of Hunter Valley and there were roos everywhere.

I am planning my early retirement in one of these three regions.

Note - the travel times for each of these areas are in the order of 3 hours each way (except perhaps southern highlands) - overnight stays would be worthwhile.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

chompers wrote:
If the south coast head inland to southern highlands for wine -- good gourmet foods in both areas too. Big fan of day trips to southern highlands for wine / food - also the treetop walk is pretty cool, jamberoo recreation park, waterfalls, nature reserves and the like

*FACEPALM* I grew up down there, how could I forget the highlands.:oops: Truly a beautiful area and I'd reccomend it to anyone who is out to see the countryside - Also, Kangaroo valley may or may not be accurately named, maybe someone should find out ;)

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:02 am