All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPost subject: In response to some responses re Worlds 2012 announcement...
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

State: Queensland
Outpost: Brisbane
Aarggh a bit frustrated by this a need to vent a bit....

Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about the way some people on tcc.org have responded about Worlds 2012?

Matthyas put in the hard yards with the bid; we all do our part by participating in events (local/regional/continental) and proving the game IS alive and well here - but that's still not good enough for some....

It's as if the very concept of IDIC is just thrown out the window or doesn't apply at all in regards to this great news / event....

*sigh* Just disappointed I guess...in others, not in the news itself!

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 am

PostPost subject: Re: In response to some responses re Worlds 2012 announcement...
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

State: New South Wales
Outpost: Sydney
I am and have been deleting many of my posts before posting them. Trying to keep it civil as there is nothing to gain from baiting them.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:34 am

PostPost subject: Re: In response to some responses re Worlds 2012 announcement...
Captain
Captain

From what I have read on trekcc, most posts have been positive (no way has the negative been overwhelming). I thought Shanes response to Vlads post was a brilliant way to handle things.

Don't panic, people were always gonna bitch wherever it was held-I actually think being in AU disarms the US vs Euro argument a fair bit. I have been in contact with 4 Euro players already who are pretty sure they are coming down for it (my house has been made available to them already), so the international turn out will happen, we just gotta make it as strong as possible!

KO

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 am

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

must...contain...rage...

Now we've got people saying it should be pushed back until 2013, because, y'now, it just doesn't suit them financially/time-wise/whatever.

Plus, it's like, *so* expensive and far away....yet it seems perfectly acceptable for Australian players to just have to deal with Worlds usually being overseas, and none of us (as far as I know) have publicly bitched about the cost to get over there...

I was really excited about us getting Worlds, but now my interest is starting to waver. I can't explain/don't know why this is upsetting me so much, but it is.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Don;t let the dipshits on the forums impact your enthusiasm for the game.

On a side note that won;t help your rage ... Check out the BS in Charlie's blog ....

Did you miss the comments that we are all shit players because Chris Clarke has 40 wins in a row ... all the time inferring that Chris Clarke is not very good as well.

I couldn;t help but say something

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

hehe yeah Steve I've seen all those as well...didn't help but yeah not much can be done...just gotta grit my teeth and 'smile'

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Bit of friendly rivalry ... hopefully it was taken that way

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Crewman
Crewman

State: Not in Australia
Outpost: Not part of an Outpost
Apologies if I am picking a scab by responding to this as my first post on your forum. I only recently signed up on here and felt this was as good of a topic as any to respond to, both as a fellow 2012 World Championship bidder and in light of the fact that I can empathize with the angst outsiders seem to have over the venues chosen for big time tournaments, what with AU getting Worlds this year and MN being awarded U.S. Nationals: West. In an effort to bridge the gap between our two metas, my recommendation is to just ignore the nay-sayers and stay focused on making the event one for the ages for your own player group. First and foremost, this year's Worlds is an Australian event... and as both U.S. and European play groups have both played host to it in the past, I see absolutely no reason why your area isn't deserving. That said, if said outsiders / nay-sayers can somehow make it down to participate, be as hospitable to them as you can be in order to show just how deserving your area was of the awarded event, but by no means go out of your way to please them if doing so comes at the cost of turning off your own kind.

From someone who's seen and done just about all there is to do in this game, I can assure that above all else the best thing you guys can do is keep your local players interested and coming back for more, with any global community concerns being a very distant second thought. So, whether you are dealing with players griping about not having enough lead time to save / plan for Worlds 2012 or hearing the same CA players who complain every year about where US Nationals is held complaining about it yet again, the best advice I can give is to tune it all out and make the event as fun as you can for the players who are the most likely to attend; your own.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:03 am

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

LORE wrote:
Apologies if I am picking a scab by responding to this as my first post on your forum. I only recently signed up on here and felt this was as good of a topic as any to respond to, both as a fellow 2012 World Championship bidder and in light of the fact that I can empathize with the angst outsiders seem to have over the venues chosen for big time tournaments, what with AU getting Worlds this year and MN being awarded U.S. Nationals: West. In an effort to bridge the gap between our two metas, my recommendation is to just ignore the nay-sayers and stay focused on making the event one for the ages for your own player group. First and foremost, this year's Worlds is an Australian event... and as both U.S. and European play groups have both played host to it in the past, I see absolutely no reason why your area isn't deserving. That said, if said outsiders / nay-sayers can somehow make it down to participate, be as hospitable to them as you can be in order to show just how deserving your area was of the awarded event, but by no means go out of your way to please them if doing so comes at the cost of turning off your own kind.

From someone who's seen and done just about all there is to do in this game, I can assure that above all else the best thing you guys can do is keep your local players interested and coming back for more, with any global community concerns being a very distant second thought. So, whether you are dealing with players griping about not having enough lead time to save / plan for Worlds 2012 or hearing the same CA players who complain every year about where US Nationals is held complaining about it yet again, the best advice I can give is to tune it all out and make the event as fun as you can for the players who are the most likely to attend; your own.

Thanks for the kind words. We are super-excited to have got the event and it was disappointing to see some of the comments. We are focussing on making this the biggest and best event we have ever held and are fortunate that many international players are considering making the trip. Can't wait!

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Crewman
Crewman

State: Not in Australia
Outpost: Not part of an Outpost
Hi,

I'd like to say don't let those posted get you down and I say this as some one who whole love to see worlds at gencon each year because I'd love to go to gencon and worlds but i can really only swing one big trip like that a year as both are significant when coming form West coast Canada. However I'm also VERY happy to see it Aust. this year as I'm using it as an excuse to really try and make it and take that trip down under I've wanted to tale for years hoping to meet you all and spend a few weeks in the area :)

-Ken

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:01 am