All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPost subject: Bad News
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

State: Queensland
Outpost: Brisbane
Unfortunately, due to various reasons, I will no longer be able to attend Worlds.

I can't apologise enough for this, and believe me when I say no one is more pissed off and upset about this turn of events than I am.

I'm incredibly unhappy with the way things have been going recently in my life, and am gutted that I have to sacrifice an event I've been greatly looking forward to, in order to make other aspects of the near future (hopefully) more secure and stable.

In any case, I'll be cheering you all on during the Worlds week, just not in person.

Regards, and apologies,

Mike

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 am

PostPost subject: Re: Bad News
Captain
Captain

State: New South Wales
Outpost: Sydney
Man, that is a shame

I am a selfish bastard, and I enjoy hanging out with you, plus you add some class to the events. I understand you are hurting over this, but many others in the community will be also

You will be missed Brother, but, in the big picture, its only a games

KO

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 am

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

State: New South Wales
Outpost: Sydney
That's a shame but hobbies can't be our highest priority ... There are more important things and unfortunately life will always get in the way for some ... Looking forward to catching up next time our paths cross be it next years continentals or the off chances happen to make it interstate for one of your events

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Australian OP Coordinator
Australian OP Coordinator

This is a big, very big loss to the 2012 Worlds.

I appreciate your situation, Mike, and while I'm really, really saddened by this news on the eve of the biggest event we may ever see come to Australia, and when we need every single player we can get, I understand that sometimes these decisions have to be made.

Stay well, buddy, and I hope to see you again in the future.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

State: Queensland
Outpost: Brisbane
Thanks guys - I appreciate that.

Trust me, I know that in the big scheme of things, it's just a game - but on the other hand, it's a game that's a big part of my life, has gained me some great friends, and is about to enjoy its biggest event among its global community. An event that I was *really* looking forward to, and which I personally have invested in (Matthyas can vouch for this).

The fact of the matter is that it's a really uncertain and actually scary time to be a member of the Queensland Public Service. No position is safe or guaranteed, and there's a very real chance that I will be unemployed by the time I get back from our trip to the US (another annoying issue that's played part in my general grumpiness of late, but I won't get into that now). There have already been confirmed reports of people in other departments turing up for work, and been out of a job by the end of the day. Not a good time at all.

To prepare myself for this, should it happen, I need to have as much of my recreation / long service leave banked so that I get a decent payout. This meant that I had to cancel half of my scheduled leave, which included the Worlds week. Which leads me to the position I'm currently in - trapped in Rock And A Hard Place Cafe, being served Shit Sandwiches.

Another annoying factor is that the staffing review for my department won't start until August/September, so the waiting for the Powers That Be to make a final decisive announcement isn't helping morale at work either.

So the best case scenario is that I'll keep my job, or possibly be re-deployed to another area or department. It's just really unfortunate timing in that all this uncertainty is clashing with an event I know I'd much rather be a part of.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:09 am